How do I create a multi-series line graph showing values over time?

I'm trying to figure out how to create a multi-series line graph from a report, but I can't seem to get the dates on the x-axis. Can you point me in the right direction?

Comments

• First, please check out our documentation on Multi Series charts: Multi Series Charts

What's important to remember when trying to set the date as the x-axis is that the x-axis field is the field that you group by on the report! In the following example, I will be grouping on field 1, which will be considered the date field.

To follow along with this example, please import the following project:

After importing, run the Generate Data Flow (only one time). From there, open the report. You should see three fields per item -- the date field, field3, and field3. Group by the date field, which will be the x-axis. Then, expand the results category and add a new subtotal:

We'll need to add 2 subtotals, one for field2, and one for field3 to show two different lines on the graph. Since there is only one item in each group (one data point for each date per series), you can set the aggregation type to either sum, average, minimum, maximum, or median, as they will be the same value with only one value.

Now, create a line graph as usual, then in the chart data properties, change the first series to one of the series you just created. Then, add a series and select the other series. You should now see the line graph as displayed below.