How can I utilize Branching/Merging of Flows within my process?

I am trying to run a process in which two lists are being compared simultaneously using a “Check For Duplicates” Subflow I created. I want to utilize the Branch/Merging steps within my process but am unsure if this is best practice.

Comments

• Hi there,

You absolutely can use the Branch/Merging Steps without issue in your process. However it is important to note that the Merge/Branch Steps will not actually run the two processes simultaneously, it will only simulate it. 

Decisions will execute each Step following a Branch Step independently, while the Merge Step will hold the Flow in place until all Branches have completed and made their way to the Merge Step (‘simulating’ parallel processing).

Typically we recommend these Steps for Assignment-based processes as we can build Flows that require multiple Assignment completions from separate users before continuing the Flow.

In your case, using the Branch/Merge Steps will function in the same way as if you were to place two of the “Check For Duplicates” Subflows back-to-back in the main Flow.

Some documentation on the Branch/Merge Steps:

https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/branching-and-merging-flows?highlight=Branch

Hope this helps!