How can I include Binary Serialized data in a report?

I have a custom datatype the is part of a case flow. The datatype comes from an XML post in a flow API and the datatype is flagged as being Binary Serialized so it can be store on the Decisions side.

When running reporting, I don't appear to be able to access the data attributes to display on the report. Is there a method to Deserialize the Binary data that is stored (no longer looks like XML) so I can use the data as part of a report, or should i be looking to normalize all the data in the XML down to primitives?

I hope I'm explaining this correctly, and can elaborate if needed.

Comments

• Hello !

We have a number of steps available in the toolbox related to the XML datatype. These become available once the datatype is created in the environment. They can be found under Data > XML. Our documentation here will go over the available steps and their functions. XML Steps:https://documentation.decisions.com/step-library/docs/xml-deserialize

• That is great in a Flow and I do use that effectively. The XML is pulled into a Case Entity and I am able to work with it in flows, maybe it's my inexperience with Decisions but I don't seem to be able to access the stored data in the Case Entity when creating a report. All I can see if the Binary Serialized data and thus cannot pull attributes from the XML to include in the report.

• To view serialized data on a report would require the user of a Flow Inline Field. This calculated column of a report could be designed to pull the data need to view and deserialize it within a flow that is ran within the report itself. These Flow Inline Field are generally not recommended as can be the cause of performance issues within an environment. Documentation:https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/using-flow-inline-fields-to-extend-report-data

It would be recommended if needing to view the xml data on a report to deserialize it to store within a flow then view the deserialized data on the report.