Kick off a flow from a report?

Kick off a flow from a report?

Comments

• Is there a way to kickoff a new flow from a report and pass in some of the field values in the report to the flow that is being kicked off. The report source would be a flow that queries and external database

• Hi Jeremy,

It sounds like you want this report to take in an external table/entity of some sort and be able to perform actions while sending in the context of a clicked/selected item. I believe what youll want to do is integrate with the external table youre referencing, create the respective CRUD actions (create, update, delete, etc) and then reference the External Entity as the report data source which is generated as a Decisions friendly entity.

This also allows you, to answer your question, to build out [b]User Actions [/b]just as you would for any other Decisions datatype. Give [b]External Entities [/b]a try and let us know if that ticks all the boxes for you; doc link below.

[url=https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/external-entities-2]https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/external-entities-2[/url]

• This mostly worked. I am having an issue with the user action where the "Entity.FirstName" is always showing the first record. I did set the id to be the first name as it showed tn the example in the documentation. Do you know what could be causing that issue?

• Youre receiving the first record since youre referencing Entity.FirstName. Youd want to make sure you reference the entity itself. If you look in the User Action flow inside of a configuration folder, you should see that you have [b]Entity [/b]available to you (for me its CarExample_Database but for you it should be the name of the external data). This is context aware, so that if you perform this user action to a selected item in a running report, it knows youre targeting the selected item.

[img]att1[/img]

The documentation goes into specifics like Entity.FirstName but it may not be the solution for each situation. For you, Id say you should be able to go into the user action flow and target this [b]Entity [/b]which is a default parameter that can be manipulated.

• I am already using that, if you hit the dropdown you get the list of fields, I am using the firstName field in my external entity type hence "Entity.FirstName". If I cant use the fields via the dropdown on the Entity then how am I supposed to get at the values inside of it? I tried using create data step and then assigning the entity to that since that was the only thing I could think to do with your previous response and that kept the same behavior as before

• I had not realized that the "Entity" in the action flow was being populated using the fetch by ID and I had set it up generically to try and see if the solution would work. I have it working now. Thank you so much for the help!