Report column from complex object

Report column from complex object

Comments

• I have an object, EmployeeSetup, that has an object with it, HiringManager. The Hiring Manager object holds the information about that manager. I want to bring in the HiringManagers name into a report column but it dosent seem to be there or work. Is there a way to do this?
    [i]edited by christopher_salas on 5/21/2020[/i]

• Hello Christopher,

Nested composite types cannot be used as a field in a report by using the default report data source for the parent type. The nested composite type is serialized in the database and has to be accessed via a flow. It is best practice to use the secondary types ID as a field in the primary type. To get that data into your report, however, you can create a Defined Data Structure containing all of the desired fields from both data types and use a Report Data Source Flow to gather the information, create a list of the new defined data structure, and pass that list as an output for the reports data. I have created a small project to show how you might do this.

• Ok, once you do this and have a new data type, how do you use the data type actions that have been created? I have multiple actions that need to be available for these EmployeeSetups.

• To retain User Actions for one of the types, navigate to Properties > Actions in the Report Designer and:
    [ul][li]Check [url=https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/overriding-action-contexts-reports]Override Action Context[/url][/li][li]Set Action Context Type to the type name of your desired type[/li][li]Set Action Context ID Field to any column containing that types GUID (will look something like 47991016-9ad4-11ea-b8e7-c6f61d5c41ef)[/li][/ul]
    I have overridden the action context of the report in the report in this example for the parent data type.