Add a report data source from a flow

Add a report data source from a flow

Comments

• Hello!

I am trying to create an action flow that will automatically create a report.
    Thanks to Decisions Support help, I managed to create a report from a flow.
    What I am struggling with is adding a data source to a flow. I want it to be a user-defined DatabaseStructure. I cant find any step that would allow me to do that. Do you know if thats possible?

When I added a data source manually to a report, I was then able to add columns from a flow level, so it seems that adding a data source from a flow is the only step I am missing before I can achieve what I need.

Thanks in advance!

• Hello Radek,

Selecting a Reports data source at runtime with a flow might be possible, but there may be a couple of easier ways to achieve the results youre looking for. What is your use case for this report? Is there a reason you want to add the data source from a flow vs just building a few different reports and using some logic to determine which to show? If you could just briefly outline what you want the report to do and how it fits more broadly into your project then that would help me help you.

Best,

Thad Roebuck

• Hi Thad,

Thanks for taking a look at this.

What I want to achieve is basically recreating the Create Management Folder action, but for non-admin users. I added a custom action to DataStructures and the intended actions flow should look like this:
    1. Create a report
    2. Get selected DataStructure type details.
    3. Add that type as a data source in the created report.
    4. Add data types fields as columns to the report.
    5. Save the report.

I have issues with step #3. I found a step called AddColumnAndDataSourceToReport but it doesnt seem to be working for me.

I know that creating such report manually is rather a simple task, but we want to minimize the manuall effort as much as possible for our users.

• Hi again Radek,

On looking into this issue further, its going to be pretty difficult to get a report built like this at runtime when the datasource isnt known beforehand.  Wed have to use some Internal Service steps, and the whole thing would generally just get VERY messy very quickly.  Im going to put in a feature request on your behalf to our dev team so that youll be able to configure the Create Management Folder actions visibility however you want. Unfortunately, since the Create Management Folder action works at the service level rather than just calling a system flow, theres no way currently to change its permissions or even just make a copy of it that youd be able to use for your purposes. Development will get around to that feature as soon as they can. Sorry I cant be of more help, but I hope this at least clears a couple of things up. 

Best,

Thad Roebuck