Passing Drop Down from Main Form to Data Repeater

Passing Drop Down from Main Form to Data Repeater

Comments

• Unknown
    edited November 2023

Hello! I am looking to pass the information that my users select in their Drop Down List from the main form to the Data Repeater I have nested in the form.

Below is a screenshot of a test form I have been messing with to try to accomplish this.

The left side is the Main Drop Down List. The right side is the Data Repeater with the other Drop Down List I need to copy to.

Thanks in advance!

• [b]Hello Justin,[/b]

Welcome to the forum!  You can accomplish this with an active form flow.  Basically, youll want to set the rule flow to trigger every time the drop down field is changed, then within the flow use a set control value step to change the value(s) within your data repeater to what was just selected.  Ill attach a small project Ive built that does just that to hopefully give you something to play around with and figure out; additionally heres some documentation that should prove helpful.  Run the wrapper flow within the project to display the form which Ive populated with some sample data.  

Data Repeater Documentation: https://documentation.decisions.com/v8/docs/en/creating-data-repeaters?highlight=data repeater

Active Form Flow Documentation: https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/active-form-flows-overview?highlight=active form

Hope this helps,

[b]Thad Roebuck | Decisions Support[/b]

• Hey Thad! I appreciate this. Its definitely helped me in the right direction. Would you happen to be able to provide that sample project for Decisions 6? I understand it is depreciated, but the project is still implemented in 6.

• Absolutely; Ive rewritten the project in v6 and will attach it with this post. In building the project a bug related to data form flows surfaced; essentially, trying to pass input to a data repeater which was being modified by a data flow failed because the input would disappear. A brief summary of the workaround below:

1) On your form, under Form Data > Input Data, add a new entry with the exact same name and type as the data name and type of your data repeater form control.
    2) When building your data flow, ensure the output has the same name and type as above.
    3) In your form Properties > Data Flows > [your data flow] > Edit Flow Outputs > Behavior: set the "Refresh all the components listening to this data" option to true (check the box)

Best,

Thad