Why Disable Redirect Root Request for Clusters?

Why Disable Redirect Root Request for Clusters?

Comments

• Hello,

I am currently setting up a Decisions Cluster, I noticed in the Documentation that it mentioned to not enable Redirect Root Request. Why would we do this?

• Hello!

We do [b]not[/b] advise enabling Redirect Root Request on a clustered setup. An incoming HTTP request is going to hit the Load Balancer first, before any redirection would take place. Contrary to a single instance, where the request will directly hit the lone web server. Putting this responsibility on the Load Balancer, and letting it direct traffic on its own accord removes that burden from the clustered web servers.

Additionally, doing this on the web server directly can cause issues in cluster communication as the nodes in the clusters communicate with one another.

-Ethan

• I created a rough chart to kind of explain why we do this. Basically, you shouldnt set this up at the server level in a cluster because it can complicate the cross-node communication. In clusters, the LB handles the web request, where in a single node, where you would want this setup, the request goes right to the server, which handles the redirect

[color=#7f8c8d]"[img]att1[/img]"[/color]