Questions on Repo Branch

Questions on Repo Branch

Comments

• Hi,

We are interested in setting up a Designer Repository server to introduce version control into our development. Our goal is to attain consistency of Decisions projects across our environments and avoid the common import/export of Decisions projects from one env. to the next. Here are my questions:

1. What are common SDLC methods do you see among the Decisions users that use a Designer Repository? We are really interested in what the FAQ mentions about QA/UAT environment being tied to a branch of the project so that no development would happen in QA/UAT and the QA/UAT would just need to check out a branch.

2. Can only Decisions Accounts that are apart of the “Administrator” group create branches? Are the permissions for Designer Repository actions adjustable? I can see a user in the “Designer” group wanting to go off and create their own version of an app on another branch.

• Hi,

Hope this helps!

[li]1. What are common SDLC methods do you see among the Decisions users that use a Designer Repository? We are really interested in what the [url=https://documentation.decisions.com/docs/repository-faq]FAQ[/url] mentions about QA/UAT environment being tied to a branch of the project so that no development would happen in QA/UAT and the QA/UAT would just need to check out a branch.[/li][ul][li]Most use an Agile SDLC methodology where they create new branches for each sprint and push that branch to prod once fully qualified. Heres another webinar on [url= Control[/url] that touches on this as well.
    [/li][li]Branches allow users to create separate instances of a project in the repository. Those branches can be updated and checked out independently of the main branch of their project. We could have separate branches created for QA/UAT, reflecting their test cycles. So they could check in changes from dev, create a new branch based on the current the branch that dev is connected to, then connect QA/UAT to this new branch and checkout the project. this would allow them to keep track of each testing cycle as branches of the project in the repo and on each new testing cycle we would just need to change the branch that QA/UAT is currently pointed to, then checkout the project. Happy to discuss and walkthrough this on a call, if necessary.
    [/li][/ul]
    [li]2. Can only Decisions Accounts that are apart of the “Administrator” group create branches? Are the permissions for Designer Repository actions adjustable? I can see a user in the “Designer” group wanting to go off and create their own version of an app on another branch.[/li][ul][li]Other groups like Designer and Repository users are able to create branches, however the All Users group will not have permissions to create a branch. These permissions are adjustable in that a group can be added to an account or vice versa.
    [/li][/ul]
    [i]edited by cameron@decisions.com on 7/23/2020[/i]